ReThRo respects individual privacy and values the confidence of its users. Not only does ReThRo strive to collect, use and disclose personal information in a manner consistent with the laws of the RSA, it also has a tradition of upholding the highest ethical standards in its business practices.
ReThRo takes seriously the issue of safeguarding your privacy online. This Policy applies to : ReThRo.org.za (the “Website”). This Policy describes how ReThRo collects and uses the personal information you provide on the Website and your options regarding the ways in which your personal information is used.
How ReThRo Collects Personal Information
ReThRo collects personal information directly in the following ways:
- When users sign petitions
- When users create petitions
- When users register to become a member of the Website
- When users subscribe to email mailing lists
- When users employ onsite tools to share ReThRo content or information with third parties (via email “tell-a-friend,” social media, or other similar means)
- When users complete profile information for display within ReThRo’s forums and groups
- When users contact ReThRo via email or phone
- ReThRo collects information when it is available publicly – your personal information may be available from external publicly available sources. For example, depending on your privacy settings for social media services, we may access information from those accounts or services.
ReThRo also automatically collects the following types of your personal information when you visit the Website:
- technical information, including the internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your device to the internet, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions and operating systems and platforms.
- Information about your visit to the Website, including the uniform resource locator (URL) clickstream to, through and from the website (including date and time), services you viewed or searched for, page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, referral sources, page interaction information (such as scrolling and clicks) and methods used to browse away from the page.
- In general, we may combine your personal information from these different sources for the purposes set out in this Policy.
Types of Personal Information ReThRo uses
- Name and contact information: physical address (for petition signers), telephone number, email address
- List of petitions signed and/or started by each member, including any comments submitted in support of each petition
- Content subscription preferences
- Web browser and browsing data: browser type, device type, IP address, referral source, length of website visit, number of page views
- Social media profile information: identity, jobs, titles, skills, associations, favourite movies, education, etc.
- Interest information expressed by the site sections and services used by website users.
- Any other type of information shared with / obtained by ReThRo by website users.
Why ReThRo Collects Personal Information
Your personal information, however provided to us or obtained by us, will be used for the purposes specified in this Policy. In particular, we may use your personal information:
- To provide you with services, products or information you have requested (for example to sign or start petitions);
- To enable website users, and prospective website users, to use or consider ReThRo services, products, and information;
- To enable ReThRo to send website users information about relevant campaigns, services and/or any other information which we consider may be of interest (where appropriate, such contact would only be made with users’ consent);
- To improve website users’ experience, for example by personalizing the presentation of information;
- To register, administer and personalise online accounts;
- To enable analysis, targeting, and segmentation of the website audience in order to develop business strategy and improve communications efficiency;
- To conduct research into the impact of ReThRo’s efforts;
- To investigate and respond to user requests and inquiries (and communicate with users in general);
- To enable sharing of website users’ information with appropriate and carefully selected third parties;
- To satisfy legal or regulatory obligations which are binding on us, for example auditing and accounting purposes to enable ReThRo to connect its members to one another, to build communities as well as to build support for petitions and campaigns;
- To establish, defend or enforce legal claims;
- For the purposes of network and system security and performance;
- For the prevention of fraud; and/or
- To enable publication of news related to ReThRo, where allowed by applicable law or with users’ consent where required.
- Communications for marketing or promotional purposes
- We may use your contact details to provide you with information about our work, services, and/or products which we consider may be of interest to you (for example, updates about a petition you previously signed, information about petitions relating to similar campaigns, or information about other ways in which you can assist one of the campaigns we help).
Where we do this via email, SMS or telephone, we will not do so without your prior consent (unless allowed to do so via applicable law).
Where you have provided us with your consent previously but do not wish to be contacted by us about our work, services and/or products in the future, please let us know by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also opt out of receiving emails from ReThRo at any time by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of our emails.
Your rights and how to exercise them
Where we rely on you consent to use your personal information, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time. This includes the right to ask us to stop using your personal information for marketing or fund raising purposes or to unsubscribe from our email list at any time. You also have the following rights:
- Right of access: you can write to us to ask for confirmation of what personal information we hold on you and to request a copy of that personal information. Provided we are satisfied that you are entitled to see the personal information requested and we have successfully confirmed your identity, we will provide you with your personal information subject to any exemptions that apply.
- Right of erasure: at your request we will delete your personal information from our records as far as we are required to do so. In many causes we would propose to suppress further communications with you, rather than delete it.
- Right of rectification:if you believe our records of your personal information are inaccurate, you have the right to ask for those records to be updated. You can also ask us to check the personal information we hold about you if you are unsure whether it is accurate / up to date.
- Right to restrict processing: you have the right to ask for processing of your personal information to be restricted if there is disagreement about its accuracy or legitimate usage.
- Right to object: you have the right to object to processing where we are (i) processing your personal information on the basis of the legitimate interests ground, (ii) using your personal information for direct marketing or (iii) using your information for statistical purposes.
Will we share your personal information?
In general, we may disclose your personal information to selected third parties in order to achieve the purposes set out in this Policy. Please note that, where required under applicable data protection law, we will not do so without your consent.
Non-exhaustively, those parties may include:
- Client and partner organizations whose campaigns appear on ReThRo/ThePetitionSite
- Social media platforms
- Law enforcement agencies an regulatory authorities (where legally obligated)
- Professional service providers such as accountants,auditors and lawyers
- Sub-contractors for the specific purpose of standardizing member-submitted postal address data
- Media outlets (with consent, and only as allowed by relevant law)
- Analytics and search engine providers
- Petition signers’ name, comments, and limited demographic information (city, province, country) are published on the petition. Petition signers’ personal data could be forwarded to public officials as part of the petition campaign.
ReThRo reserves the right to share personal data if necessary for the purpose of merging with or partnering with other organizations(s).
Other than as described here, ReThRo would only share personal data with the informed consent of our website users and members.
Security/storage of and access to your personal information
ReThRo is committed to keeping your personal information safe and secure and we have appropriate and proportionate security policies and organisational and technical measures in place to help protect your information.
This includes corporate policies and staff training regarding how your personal information should be handled, as well as physical security, encryption, and network security for IT infrastructure. Your personal information is only accessible by appropriately trained staff.
How long will we retain your personal information?
In general, unless still required in connection with the purpose(s) for which it was collected and/or processed, we remove your personal information from our records six years after the date it was collected. However, if before that date (i) your personal information is no longer required in connection with such purpose(s), (ii) we are no longer lawfully entitled to process it or (iii) you validly exercise your right of erasure , we will remove it from our records at the relevant time.
Please note that, if you request to receive no further contact from us, we will keep some basic information about you on our suppression list in order to comply with your request and avoid sending you unwanted materials in the future.
Links and third parties
We link our websites directly to other sites. This Policy does not cover external websites and we are not responsible for the privacy practices or content of those sites. We encourage you to read the privacy policies of any external websites you visit via links on our website.
How to contact us
If you have questions or concerns about this Policy or about the way in which ReThRo processes your personal information, please contact us by email: email@example.com.
Changes to this Policy
ReThRo reserves the right to change the Policy, but will notify users of such changes through email and/or by posting a notice on the site. In the event of any material change, this notification will be prior to that change becoming effective. If the change involves the use of a user’s personally identifiable information then the notice to users will contain directions on how users can opt-out of the change.